Exhibition Dates: : 26 May – 1 October 2017
The Museum is looking for committed volunteers for the The World of Anna Sui exhibition (26 May – 1 October 2017).
If you would like to gain experience in a museum and you are a great communicator with a polite and positive manner and enjoy working with people, this is a fantastic opportunity to work within a small team delivering a high standard of customer service. Volunteers will work across the Visitor Services Desk, Museum Shop and the Exhibition Galleries on a rota basis.
All volunteers MUST be able to commit to one shift per week for the duration of the exhibition. *Please state your availability on the application form*.
General Skills and Person specification:
- Excellent proven customer service skills
- A friendly, confident and professional manner
- Prior experience in cash handling
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to deal with all enquiries and situations with a professional and proactive attitude
- Comfortable working both individually and in a team and possess a flexible, can-do attitude
- A keen interest in museums, fashion and textiles is preferable
Visitor Services Responsibilities:
- To be presentable and professional at all times
- Assist in the set up and close down of the Visitor Services and Museum Shop areas
- Greet and serve each visitor to the Museum in a friendly and polite manner, ensuring excellent customer service at all times
- Provide accurate information about the Museum, exhibitions, products and services to all visitors
- Take cash and credit card payments, ensuring accurate inputting of purchases into the till, taking of money and giving of change
- Book and take payment for events, workshops and courses
- Process, welcome and assist with group bookings and special events
- Be aware of promotions and discounts on offer and adhere to the Museum refund and discount policy at all times
- Answer a range of enquiries in person and by telephone, providing a main point of contact for customers and learners, including telephone and general enquiries
- Be confident in using software such as Microsoft Word and Excel in order to assist with administration
- Be vigilant of visitors in the Museum at all times and perform ticket checks when required
- Engage with visitors if they have questions about the exhibition
- Escort disabled visitors to the upper floors using the Museum lift
- Enforce strict gallery rules professionally and with courtesy
- Assist with the set up and clearing of museum events and workshops- this may involve some lifting and moving of furniture and equipment
- Replenish stock and keep all relevant areas clean and tidy at all times
- Communicate to the duty manager any operational and/or building issues
- Adhere to Newham College Health and Safety, Data Protection and Safe Guarding procedures
- Any other operational and administration ad-hoc duties as required by the Duty Manager
Exhibition Dates: 26 May – 1 October 2017 / Book Online
Anna Sui is the classic American fashion designer. From Detroit to New York, her signature rock-n-roll romanticism reinvents pop culture for every new generation. Since her first catwalk show in 1991, Sui has shaped not only the garments, textiles, accessories, beauty and interiors which comprise her design universe, but also the course of fashion history. The World of Anna Sui features over 100 looks from the designer’s archive, presenting a roll call of archetypes from Surfers and School Girls to Hippies, Mods and Punks. This is the first time an American designer has been the focus of a retrospective exhibition in the UK.
Exhibition Dates: 26 May – 1 October 2017
Open Tuesdays to Saturdays, 11am–6pm
Thursdays until 8pm
Last admission 45 minutes before closing
Please note: The Museum does not have a permanent display, and instead offers one focussed temporary exhibition every three months within a year which allows the Museum to display a rich variety of contemporary fashion and textile items. Suggested visit time 45 minutes to an hour.
Advance booking online is recommended but tickets may be purchased in person on the day of the visit, subject to availability
£9.90 adults* / £7.70 concessions* / £6 students * Includes 10% gift aid
Children under 12 are free.
50% off full price ticket for Art Fund members
Art Fund tickets are available to be purchased in person with a valid Art Fund membership card and cannot be booked in advance.
Please fill in the Group Bookings Form or contact the Museum with your requirements.
Images: Anna Sui, 2011 © Anna Sui; The World of Anna Sui, book cover 2017.
Isetan Mitsukoshi for Anna Sui Spring Summer 2012 © Sofia Sanchez and Mauro Mongiello