Image: Suzy Parker by the Seine, Costume by Balenciaga, 1953.
Photograph by Louise Dahl-Wolfe.
© 1989 Center for Creative Photography, Arizona Board of Regents.
Exhibition Dates: 20 October 2017 – 21 January 2018
The Museum is looking for committed volunteers for the Louise Dahl–Wolfe: A Style of Her Own exhibition (20 October 2017 – 21 January 2018).
If you would like to gain experience in a museum and you are a great communicator with a polite and positive manner and enjoy working with people, this is a fantastic opportunity to work within a small team delivering a high standard of customer service. Volunteers will work across the Visitor Services Desk, Museum Shop and the Exhibition Galleries on a rota basis.
All volunteers MUST be able to commit to one shift per week for the duration of the exhibition. *Please state your availability on the application form*.
General Skills and Person specification:
- Excellent proven customer service skills
- A friendly, confident and professional manner
- Prior experience in cash handling
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to deal with all enquiries and situations with a professional and proactive attitude
- Comfortable working both individually and in a team and possess a flexible, can-do attitude
- A keen interest in museums, fashion and textiles is preferable
Visitor Services Responsibilities:
- To be presentable and professional at all times
- Assist in the set up and close down of the Visitor Services and Museum Shop areas
- Greet and serve each visitor to the Museum in a friendly and polite manner, ensuring excellent customer service at all times
- Provide accurate information about the Museum, exhibitions, products and services to all visitors
- Take cash and credit card payments, ensuring accurate inputting of purchases into the till, taking of money and giving of change
- Book and take payment for events, workshops and courses
- Process, welcome and assist with group bookings and special events
- Be aware of promotions and discounts on offer and adhere to the Museum refund and discount policy at all times
- Answer a range of enquiries in person and by telephone, providing a main point of contact for customers and learners, including telephone and general enquiries
- Be confident in using software such as Microsoft Word and Excel in order to assist with administration
- Be vigilant of visitors in the Museum at all times and perform ticket checks when required
- Engage with visitors if they have questions about the exhibition
- Escort disabled visitors to the upper floors using the Museum lift
- Enforce strict gallery rules professionally and with courtesy
- Assist with the set up and clearing of museum events and workshops- this may involve some lifting and moving of furniture and equipment
- Replenish stock and keep all relevant areas clean and tidy at all times
- Communicate to the duty manager any operational and/or building issues
- Adhere to Newham College Health and Safety, Data Protection and Safe Guarding procedures
- Any other operational and administration ad-hoc duties as required by the Duty Manager