Exhibition Dates: 12 October 2018 – 20 January 2019
If you would like to gain experience in a museum and you are a great communicator with a polite and positive manner and enjoy working with people, this is a fantastic opportunity to work within a small team delivering a high standard of customer service. Volunteers will work 1 day a week across the Visitor Services Desk, Museum Shop and the Exhibition Galleries on a rota basis.
All volunteers MUST be able to commit to 1 day each week and on the same day for the duration of the exhibition. *Please state your availability on the application form*
This role will suit people who
- Excellent proven customer service skills
- A friendly, confident and professional manner
- Prior experience in cash handling
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to deal with all enquiries and situations with a professional and proactive attitude
- Comfortable working both individually and in a team and possess a flexible, can-do attitude
- A keen interest in museums, fashion and textiles is preferable
Visitor Services Responsibilities:
Front of House & Museum Shop
- To be presentable and professional at all times
- Assist in the set up and close down of the Visitor Services and Museum Shop areas
- Greet and serve each visitor to the Museum in a friendly and polite manner, ensuring excellent customer service at all times
- Provide accurate information about the Museum, exhibitions, products and services to all visitors
- Take cash and credit card payments, ensuring accurate inputting of purchases into the till, taking of money and giving of change
- Book and take payment for events, workshops and courses
- Process, welcome and assist with group bookings and special events
- Be aware of promotions and discounts on offer and adhere to the Museum refund and discount policy at all times
- Answer a range of enquiries in person and by telephone, providing a main point of contact for customers and learners
- Be confident in using software such as Microsoft Word and Excel in order to assist with administration and data input
- Replenish stock and keep all relevant areas clean and tidy at all times
- Enforce gallery rules professionally and with courtesy
- Engage with visitors if they have questions about the exhibition
- Be vigilant of visitors in the Museum at all times and perform ticket checks when required
- Escort disabled visitors to the upper floors using the Museum lift
- Assist with the set up and clearing of museum events and workshops- this may involve some lifting and moving of furniture and equipment
- Communicate to the duty manager any operational and/or building issues
- Adhere to Newham College Health and Safety, Data Protection and Safe Guarding procedures
- Any other operational and administration ad-hoc duties as required by the Duty Manager
The Museum requires each volunteer to commit to a set day for the duration of each exhibition. The Museum is open Tuesday – Sunday. Volunteering shifts are 10.40am-6pm Tuesday – Saturday, 10.40am-5pm Sunday and 12.30-8pm Thursday late openings.
A group induction session will take place before the opening of the exhibition. Front of House and Shop training will be provided on your start date. Volunteers will be required to bring their passport or proof of residence to the training day or first shift.
Successful applicants will be contacted by our Front of House Coordinator and invited to an informal interview. Due to the high volume of applications we receive it is not possible to contact unsuccessful applicants. If you do not receive a response by Friday 12th October your application has been unsuccessful at this time.
All volunteer placements at the Fashion and Textile Museum are unpaid. Travel expenses between London zones 1-6 can be reimbursed up to a value of £12 a week. Unfortunately the Museum cannot take volunteers or work experience placements for anyone under 18 years of age.